Metal stamping is a manufacturing process that involves molding a flat metal into innumerable shapes. This technique makes it easier for manufacturers to form different designs more quickly and accurately. It is also cost-effective as less labor is required during the manufacturing process. Metal stamping can be used in plumbing, medical stamping, and even when designing household appliances. It is popular in electronics, aerospace, health care, and even research and development. Some products produced through this process include doors, bonnets, lasers, helicopter parts, vehicle engines, eyelets, and even landing gears, among others. Many companies offer metal stamping service.
Materials compatible with metal stamping include.
- Steel. Chemically, steel is an iron-carbon alloy. It has tensile strength and thermal conductivity and is durable enough to withstand extreme temperatures. The steel stamping is ideal for creating a variety of high-quality products.
- Brass. Brass is an alloy of zinc and copper. It is believed to be resistant to any form of corrosion. Since it is aesthetically appealing, it is ideal for generating decorative stamping. Household fixtures and plumbing, and jewelry are molded from brass stamping.
- Aluminum. Aluminum is flexible, thematically conductive, and even nonmagnetic.
- Copper. Copper is malleable. Copper metal stamping suits the deep-drawn metal stamping and the large locomotive. It is also ideal for making pans and pots.
- Titanium. Titanium is resistant to any form of corrosion, and it is commonly used in healthcare, defense, and even aerospace. This is due to its outstanding strength.
Machinery used during this process includes:
- Hydraulic presses. The hydraulic presses come in different frames. The frame can be H frames, four columns, C frames, and even the straight sides. They are capable of transferring power in any direction in the stroke. The power is transferred by moving rams, hydraulic pressure, or an automated sequence. The hydraulic pressure is ideal for deep drawing and short runs, which require repetitive pressure. This machinery is available in different sizes, capacities, and even functioning speeds smihub.
- Four slide presses. This is machinery containing four slides, and they are programmed presses. Since they have a variety of slides, they can mold the metal once in both axes. This simply means the metal stampers can shape, cut, and stamp at once.
- Transfer presses. The transfer pressers contain many stations for the metal to pass through.
- Mechanical presses. The mechanical presses are operated by generating energy in the flywheel. It is later moved to the electric shaft or crankshaft. The gear frame is an example of a mechanical press
Types of metal stamping include:
- Line die stamping. Line die stamping is a cost-effective process in which the manufacturers generate many parts. They can be loaded automatically or manually. Most manufacturers prefer the automatic one as it is more efficient and safer. They normally use the manual one when the components have a low production run or when it is bulky.
- Compound die stamping. In compound die stamping, the die distinguishes the metal from a metal strip through one stroke. This form of stamping can generate more components in just one stroke. It is common in the metal stamping of hardware, for instance, dishwashers. It is capable of generating high volumes at lower costs possible.
- Transfer die stamping. It moves the sheet metal rather than holding it in one position. The transfer dies stamping equipment has various tools which allow them to perform different tasks. They normally transfer the metal sheet on automated trails.
- Progressive stamping. It is also known as progressive die stamping. It is a recurrent process that tends to generate small parts. Example of this stamping is the electronic stamping and spring clips. Since they are generated from a recurrent process, large volumes of stampings can be generated quickly. It is believed to be one of the fastest ways to generate metal stampings.
Metal stamping is beneficial as the components generated have lower tooling costs. The products generated are durable enough to withstand any form of corrosion.
In conclusion, there are many types of metal stamping. The above article has illustrated some of the examples. If you need high-quality metal stamping, then you should go for a company that is highly reputable in metal stamping. Reach out to the most experienced service provider and discuss your specifications with them.